Every single verse of the Bible is important.
“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”2 Timothy 3:16-17, ESV
But there are a few verses that are so short, so easy to memorize, and so full of meaning, that every believer should know them.
These Bible verses aren’t just great for adults. They are great for children, too!
There’s no better way to teach and instruct children in the word of the Lord than to teach Good Bible verses for Kids!
What are the Top 10 Shortest Bible Verses to Memorize?
1. “In the Beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
How amazing that the very first verse of the entire Bible gives us a true and profound statement of science. It was only about 100 years ago that scientists finally learned enough so that science could finally agree with what had been written by Moses over 3500 years ago.
Yes, according to Albert Einstein and others, the Heavens and the Earth were created just as the Bible always said!
2. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11, ESV
The Lord gave these words to his people during a very difficult time for Israel. But brighter days were already coming for them.
We know that whatever the circumstance, our God has his eye on us -just as his eye was on the Israelites.
3. Do to others as you would have them do to you. Luke 6:3
This is called the golden rule in the Bible. Some people refer to it as the law of Karma, (Karma is not a Biblical concept) but it is a reminder to us that God knows how we treat others.
Whatever you are expecting from people; love, forgiveness, help, comfort, support, gifts, companionship, trust, etc you should give it out first, and it will come back to you many-fold.
Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, shaken together pressed down shall men add to your bosom.
Whatever you sow, that you shall reap.
4. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
As mortal beings, we are limited in all things. Jesus gave us an insight into this when he said ” without Me, you can do nothing.” When we have the unlimited God on our side, He will endow us with whatever we need to accomplish His purpose on earth.
He gave Solomon wisdom. He gave Samson strength. He gave Mary the power to conceive Jesus.
He made Joseph governor in a strange land. There is absolutely nothing that He cannot do. If God is for us, who can be against us?
5. How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. Psalm 119:9
Looking at the temptations, desires, wants, and forces that young people face.
Especially in this generation, their lives can be described as turbulent and highly adventurous. Despite that, the word of God can tame the heart of the unruliest youth -whether male or female.
The word had been purified seven times to make it quick and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword. It can guide all youths through their turbulent age and establish them on the right path.
Any youth that follows the light of the word of God cannot miss his or her way.
6. If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31
The presence of God matters a lot in our lives.
It is the most essential thing we need in the journey of life. Moses said, “Don’t ask us to go if your presence will not go with us.” God obliged him.
That gave Israel protection, provision, deliverance, victory, and fulfillment. It practically gave them all that they needed to survive a journey of 40 years in the wilderness. (see my post on Moses and the Bronze Snake -a true gospel story that took place during those 40 years)
And there was none feeble among them. Indeed, if God is for us, no one can be against us!
7. Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105
The world we are living in is full of darkness.
We can see this in all manners of evil that are being committed under the sun every day. We need the word of God both for our protection and as a guide to lead us on the right path.
The word of God can help us in our daily decisions. It can also guide us in our long-term plans.
We are to meditate in it day and night to get empowerment for success and achievements in life.
8. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:16
The best thing that can happen to a man is for him to encounter Christ. Such an individual will receive the opportunity to start a new life and become a child of God.
Nothing can be greater or better than that. It is the only avenue that makes forgiveness of sins and redemption possible.
Nothing can reform a man but having his sins washed in the blood of Jesus.
The blood that cleanses from all sins. The blood that can make the vilest sinner clean. No one washes in the blood and remains the same.
9. Before I formed you in the womb I knew you. Jeremiah 1:5
We don’t come into this world on our own.
We don’t choose our destiny, parents, or nationality. God had preordained all of these before our mother conceived us.
This tells us that everyone is important before God. No one is a nonentity or a useless fellow.
We are all here to serve a specific divine purpose. That is the major reason why He created us in His image and after His likeness.
God knows you. He knows why He sent you here. No one, no circumstance can change that.
10. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21
By the power in the name of Jesus, we have what it takes to overcome evil with good.
Jesus said, “these signs shall follow them that believe, in my name they shall cast out demons, etc.” If you are a child of God, you are eligible to use the name and make it work for you.
Jesus also commanded us to love others. Love covers a multitude of sins and makes us live as true children of God.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son. By love, God destroyed all the evil works of the devil and gave us victory.
More Bible Verses Kids can Memorize
1. Let all that you do be done in love. 1 Corinthians 16:14 ESV
2. We love because he first loved us. 1-John-4-19 ESV
3. Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually. 1 Chronicles 16:11 KJV
4. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. Colossians 3:2 KJV
5. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future. Jeremiah 29:11 ESV
6. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 ESV
7. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. John 1:4 KJV
8. I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 KJV
9. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7 KJV
10. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which is God’s. 1 Corinthians 6:20 KJV
11. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 1 John 5:3 KJV
12. Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses. Proverbs 10:12 ESV
13. Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established. Proverbs 16:3 KJV
14. The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. Proverbs 16:9 KJV
15. Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Proverbs 4:23 KJV
16. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:6 KJV
17. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. Proverbs 3:7 KJV
18. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7 KJV
19. Trust in the LORD with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. Proverbs 3:5 KJV
20. My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not. Proverbs 1:10 KJV
How Can Children Memorize the Bible?
There are a few Bible Verses that can speak directly to the heart of a young child. Our God has a special love for children, and Jesus displayed his love and care for small children.
Hannah brought Samuel to the Temple immediately after she weaned him. One can imagine what the young child had to go through without the care of a mother.
He grew up among the sons of Eli who were noted for their unpardonable sins which they committed in the Temple. Despite that, Samuel became the first prophet in Israel. You can be what God wants you to be no matter what you have to pass through.
To the surprise of the disciples who thought that children should not come near Jesus, he welcomed them and said no one should stop them from coming to him. Jesus loves little children because of their innocence.
Like arrows in the hands of a mighty man, God wants to use them to do exploits for His glory in this end time.
3. Psalms 8:2
God loves praise, especially when it comes from children. When Jesus journeyed to Jerusalem on a donkey, small children came out to sing Hosanna to him.
He forbade people from stopping them. Let children praise God. He loves and desires their praises more than the adults.
4. Matthew 18:3
The kingdom of God is meant for childlike people. Nothing defiled shall enter into the kingdom.
We have a lot to learn from our children. We need to take up the nature of a child and live without sin so that we can inherit the kingdom of God.
5. Psalm 127:3
Children come from God, and they belong to Him. That is why God assigns an angel to watch over them and keep them from all dangers.
Jesus gave the punishment that will be given to anyone that makes a child go astray, a milestone will be tied around his neck and he would be thrown into the depth of the sea.
What is the Shortest Verse in the Bible?
The shortest verse in the Bible (in English) is “Jesus wept.” John 11:35. It was at the tomb of Lazarus who had died for 4 days.
Jesus was forced to weep because the people present at the tomb did not believe that he is the resurrection and the life, including the sisters of Lazarus. They frustrated Jesus with their unbelief, and he could not help crying.
This shows how we can even quench the Spirit when we don’t have faith:
The Bible says without faith it is impossible to please him.
Jesus did not need their faith. He was only trying to explain to them that he has power over death. That anyone who believes in him will rise again from death.
We need to build our faith on the word of God. The more of the word we have in us the more our faith will grow.
Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. We can start with the short Bible verses and move on to others.
Some Bible verses appear short in terms of the number of words they have, but spiritually they are loaded with values and blessings for us.
All scriptures are given by God’s inspiration, whether short or long. We must not think because a verse is short, we cannot get great things from it.
If you can meditate on a particular Bible verse and allow the Holy Spirit to show you the truth hidden in it, you will discover what great things short Bible verses hold for you.